Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Capello's Captain

Well I think England may have found the right man to run the national team, what a good decision by Capello to abandon the "Terry versus Gerrard" argument and give Rio the captains armband for the French game.

I am a Chelsea fan and I think John Terry is an outstanding player, however I do think that the constant badgering and abuse of officials by JT and his fellow premiership players is frankly something that should be stamped out.

John Terry has perhaps forgotten the traditions of England greats like Bobby Moore who have held the England captain's position. I don't recall Mr Moore charging down the pitch and screaming into an officials face from close range when playing for his club. I think this fact rather than ability or having the drive to lead a side has lead to him losing the captains armband for the French game.

Rio of course has had his faults in the past, missing drug tests because he was shopping, was not his best moment, but he paid a VERY heavy price and seems to have learnt from that experience.

Even without a ball being kicked in Paris I think Capello has indicated the way he wants to play - as a TEAM, playing CAPELLO's way, under HIS rules.....Hmm.... been a while since we had those qualities in a manager, reminds me of a guy called Alf.....Sir Alf you may remember him from the mid 60's.

1 comment:

Mitch said...

I slightly disagree, being banned for 8 months and being fined £50k (less than a weeks money) is not really a "hard" punishment in my opinion, based on the fact he would have probably been banned for years if he had been found guilty of taking drugs - I for one dont buy the "I was moving house" bullshit excuse. I do agree with the move to make him captain though I think the Terry / Gerard thing has got in the way for too long. I just hope capello starts to pick players rather than names as everyone has led us to believe he would do. I cant believe Bridge / Hargraves and Cashley are in the side - Shocking